Cloves is an aromatic and spicy fragrance plant. These are dried and unopened flower buds. It's plant grows to a height of 12 to 15 metres when fully matured. It is evergreen plant. On their leaves oil glands are present with dotted structure. The flowers of this plant do not open even when they are matured and ready to cultivate.
Generally cloves plant are grown in warm and humid conditions. Unopened flower buds are plucked from the plant when it starts to turn into light red in colour. Later the cloves are dried and after drying it becomes crisp, rough and black in colour.
Cloves are mostly grown in Madagascar, India, Srilanka, and Indonesia. The Botanical name of cloves is Syzygium aromaticum. Mainly cloves contains:
• Volatile oil
• Crude fibre
• Vitamin B1,B2 and A.
The cloves are used for Medicinal, commercial and for cooking purpose.
Medicinal use of cloves
• Cloves have antiviral, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
• Antioxidants are found in abundance in cloves.
• Chewing the cloves cures the smell of our mouth.
• The oil of cloves is very useful in pain relief.
• Helps in dental problems and dental pain.
• Cloves also work in skin problems, such as in acne.
• It prevents from throat irritation.
• It is a good blood purifier and immunity booster.
• Improves fatty liver.
• Cloves also works to control loose motion.
• Helps in nausea and dizziness.
• Eliminates indigestion and gas problem.
• It is also very beneficial in stomach ulcers.
• The oil of the cloves is antiseptic and has many preservative properties.
• Clove oil is used to make pickles.
• Used in sauces.
• It is also used as spice which have a strong aromatic fragrance.
• The cloves are used to give aroma and pungent taste to food.
• It's oil is used to make chewing gums.
• Cloves extract is used to make toothpaste.
• Used to make arthritis oil.
• Clove oil is used to make soaps and perfumes.
• Used in gargles.
In the bottom line, I would like to say that natural foods never harm anyone, it's advantages and disadvantages depends on its quantity of use. Consuming 3 to 4 cloves a day is sufficient for our body. Afterall, we can do anything to keep our body healthy, right?
All the best!!